Hi there! This is ABC English Levels and Valentine. Welcome to our new lesson on FCE Speaking test, Part 2, in which I’ll tell you what to expect in the second part of the Speaking exam and give some tips to feel more confident!
What you will learn
In the previous five episodes I told you about FCE Speaking Paper Part 1 and today you’ll learn about the second part of the test:
- what it consists of
- how long it takes
- practical tips to give you more confidence
- topics of Part 2
What part 2 is like
In part 2 of the FCE exam, you’ll work on your own.
The examiner gives you two photos on the same topic and asks you to speak for one minute: you have to compare the photos and answer the question related to the topic of both pictures.
You will have the question printed above the photos. When you have finished, your partner will be asked a question about the topic of your photos.
Then comes your partner’s turn. While your partner’s speaking (also one minute), listen carefully as you’ll be asked a question about your partner’s photos after he/she has finished.
Time it takes
Part 2 of the Speaking Paper lasts four minutes in total including the examiner’s instructions and the short additional questions to each candidate.
- You shouldn’t describe the photos in detail. Focus on general ideas they depict.
- Keep in mind the question printed above the photos while describing ideas. Everything you say must be related to this question.
- If you can’t understand clearly what is going on in a photo, use such phrases as They might be…, He seems to be…, It seems like…, etc.
- It is easier to compare the photos saying what is similar and what is different about them. However, you first can describe one photo and then the other.
- Try to spend approximately the same time comparing the photos and dedicate a little more time to answer the question.
- Don’t stop speaking until the examiner says ‘Thank you’.
- Keep silent while your partner’s speaking. When you’re asked a question at the end, answer briefly, just in one or two sentences.
Topics of Part 2
They are quite common for this type of exam. Communication, Media, Technologies, Internet, Medical matters, Food and eating out, Animal issues, Environment, Transport, Holidays and feasts, etc.
Well, that is all for today. In the next lesson, I’ll give you a plan to compare any photos and some expressions with modal verbs to speculate about something you are not sure about.
This was ABC English Levels and Valentine. Leave your comments below and like us on iTunes if you think the lesson is useful.
Hope to have you with me next week. Good luck!